Mittwoch, 20. August 2008

On the way to Cambodia

At 4:00am I left the house with a cab, to Changi Airport.
I checked in and walked towards my gate. On the way there I found a free internet spot and decided to check my emails. Thats where I read about the terrible Spanair plane crash in Madrid.

I felt wierd to wait for boarding of the Singaporean EasyJet "JetStar" and to read about this at the same time.
I even joked with another German guy about how statistically our plane ride should be safe now.

We left Singapore without problems and as it was super cloudy I spend the flight reading about Cambodia and the crazy last three decades.

When we arrived in Siem Reap it was raining heavily and the landing area was flooded with water. The plane, though maybe another 10m above ground made a scary left turn which I had never experienced before. Seconds later it turned a sharp right and I got scared seeing how close the wing came to the ground, when the pilot turned sharp left again while we were hitting ground. The plane slid and was tilted to the left so much, that in the first seconds the aching of the left wheels sounded as if our wings would scratch on the ground. I wasnt the only one shocked in that moment, I can tell you that.
When I exited the plane, the pilots were taking pictures of the wheels and I saw the flooded areas. The sliding must have been "Aquaplaning" (as we call it in Germany), however, the sharp turns before hitting ground I can only imagine as the pilot not being sure of which puddle was the landing area...
Especially after the Madrid news from this morning, this was a scary ride.

To get from the airport to the city I took a Moto. Thanks to Natalie, who took me on her Moto in Madrid, I am not that scared anymore of these vehicles... It was a smooth ride, though the streets didnt look much different than the airport, maybe a little muddier.
On the streets I see kids, cows and many people eating underneath coloful marketing umbrellas. This is how I imagined Cambodia, and it reminds me of Cuba a little bit, though it looks even poorer and more run down.

I got a room at the same hostel Kati stayed in a while ago. It is cheap and easy, but the people here seem nice.

Tomorrow, the same Moto Driver will pick me up to go to the Temples of Angkor, at 5:00am!!! Sunrise at Ta Phrom is supposed to be so beautiful, and I want to be there before the tourist busses arrive.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen